The stone circle and other related standing stones at Lochbuie are evidence of inhabitation since pre-historic times.
The history of the area ( and the island) and its inhabitants between the 12th and 19th is extremely well documented in the book 'Mull , The island and its people' by Jo Currie (ISBN 1 84158 105 4 published by Birlinn Ltd. 2000) with extensive references to the MacLaines of Lochbuie (Lochbuy).
MoyCastle on the shore at Lochbuie was built by the MacLaines during the early 15th century following the acquisition of land by Hector, brother of Lachlan Maclean of Duart, and inhabited until 1752 when a new house was built close to the castle in what is now the farm square. It was here that Dr. Johnson, Mr. Boswell and Sir Allan Maclean were entertained by John Lochbuy, Lady Lochbuy and their daughter Catherine during their tour of the western Isles in 1773.
The present Lochbuie House was built between 1786/88 with additions in the early 1900's and is occupied by the current estate owners.
The extent of the Lochbuie lands has fluctuated widely over the centuries. During the 1700's to early 1800's they extended from Salen to Pennyghael but excluded the lands around Duart and Lochdon which were held by the Campbells of Argyll. The estate was put in the hands of trustees in 1831 and forfeited in 1845 due to the financial difficulties common to many highland estate owners. It was eventually restored to MacLaine ownership in 1860 when purchased for £ 31,000 by Donald MacLaine (who had amassed a fortune from coffee trading in Java) and succeeded by his son Murdoch who died in 1909. By this time the estate had been mortgaged and let to tenants, and again passed from the MacLaines (Kenneth) in 1921 after a long legal battle concerning the 'promptness' of payment of loan interest in 1918. The lands, extending from Glen More to the north, Balure to the east, Glenbyre to the west, and the Laggan/Croggan peninsula (excluding Cameron farm and Ben Buie) are now owned and farmed by the Corbett family.